Snoring affects most people from time to time, but it can worsen with age. Unfortunately, snoring can be more than a noisy nuisance. Because it interferes with quality sleep, it can become a health issue. Men, those who are overweight or obese and those who smoke, drink or use particular medications may be at an increased risk. If you are suffering from snoring, our Los Angeles snore therapy expert can help.
Lifestyle changes can often help reduce or eliminate problematic snoring and require no invasive procedures or uncomfortable treatments. Our expert in snore therapy in Los Angeles may recommend several changes, including:
• Regular exercise: Improved muscle tone all over the body can improve muscle tone in the throat, which can reduce snoring.
• Weight loss: Losing weight can reduce the amount of tissue in the back of your throat, which can reduce the incidence of snoring
• Regular sleep habits: Having established bedtime routines can improve your overall quality of sleep and reduce snoring.
• Quitting smoking: Smoking can irritate the throat, which leads to swelling and inflammation.
• Limiting alcohol intake and avoiding sleeping pills or sedatives: Alcohol and certain medications can relax the muscles in the throat, which can lead to breathing difficulties and snoring.
Snore Therapy Los Angeles
Our Los Angeles snore therapy expert may also recommend other treatments, particularly if you see no improvement with changes in your lifestyle. Continuous positive airway pressure, or CPAP, is a popular treatment that uses pressurized air and a mask to improve nighttime breathing. Dental appliances can be used to reposition the jaw and tongue during sleep. In rare cases, surgery may be necessary to remove abnormal tissue or increase the size of the airway.
Snoring can interfere with healthy sleep habits and keep your partner awake at night. The resulting chronic sleep deprivation you may both experience has even been associated with serious health problems, including an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Our expert in snore therapy in Los Angeles has a range of treatment options that can help you get a better night’s sleep. Contact us today to schedule your next appointment with our dentist in Los Angeles.